Backcountry skiing & splitboarding
Enjoy “slack-like” or “full-on” backcountry skiing and splitboarding tours of the backcountry zones at Schweitzer with an experienced and certified rider. Join our licensed guides for objectives that can be achieved quickly using the resort front end or made more challenging with skin routes.
BC 101: Skinning and splitboarding lessons can be arranged—our guides enjoy showing people how to use and travel on backcountry gear.
We have a great base of tours to work with, but as you know, every tour is a bit different by the nature of the group. When you book your reservation, please describe your group’s make-up and objectives to Ronnie or Alix, or put them in the comments. After the reservation is received, the guide assigned will open a communication channel with you and work to develop an itinery and route. Every level of rider can be accommodated.
In order to facilitate a safe and positive experience, please consider the following:
- All group members must be in good physical condition.
- All group members must come equipped with pack, shovel, probe *, and have prior experience using all of their equipment.
- All group members must possess intermediate or advanced skiing or snowboarding skills and be practiced and competent in uphill snow travel.
- Uphill modes of travel may be alpine touring (AT) skis, telemark skis, splitboards, or snowshoes *. (Skis or splitboards require climbing skins.)
* Exception: For private groups, we welcome beginners and those new to their equipment.