Backcountry skiing & riding
The Selkirk Mountain’s backcountry is BIG and offers multiple world-class backcountry ski and splitboard touring objectives. Earn your turns with our professional and licensed guides.
Expert. Novice. Beginner. Slack. Big vertical. Because the sport of ski touring has many intrinsic characteristics, we ask that you call us so we may gauge your objective and get you pointed in the right direction with registration.
The tour price excludes 6 % Idaho state tax; online and direct reservations incure a 6 % booking fee.
After booking, you may request to change your reservation time or date outside of 45 days, though we assess an administrative fee of $100 for each change. Please visit Policies for our full cancellation policy.
We have a great base of tours to work with, but as you know, every tour is a bit different by the nature of the group. When you book your reservation, please describe your group’s make-up and objectives to Ronnie or Alix, or put them in the comments. After the reservation is received, the guide assigned will open a communication channel with you and work to develop an itinery and route. Every level of rider can be accommodated.
In order to facilitate a safe and positive experience, please consider the following:
- All group members must be in good physical condition.
- All group members must come equipped with pack, shovel, probe *, and have prior experience using all of their equipment.
- All group members must possess intermediate or advanced skiing or snowboarding skills and be practiced and competent in uphill snow travel.
- Uphill modes of travel may be alpine touring (AT) skis, telemark skis, splitboards, or snowshoes *. (Skis or splitboards require climbing skins.)
* Exception: For private groups, we welcome beginners and those new to their equipment.
These are tours not normally accessible from Schweitzer by foot. In this version of backcountry skiing and splitboard touring, we’ll use our fleet of trail snowmobiles to access our heli skiing zones. After a brief safety talk at our lodge, we’ll drive away and ride Priest Lake State Forest logging roads that ring the bottoms of our heli skiing areas. From the sleds, we’ll transition to skinning gear and ascend for freshies, lunch, and good times. With our experienced and certified rider/guides leading the way, we quickly access these awesome backcountry zones for incredible tours.