Learn skills to make safer winter travel and snow movement decisions. Spend three days (Saturday through Monday) using our summit lodge as the classroom and our snowcats for a quick bump up. It’s all about knowing before you go!
The tour price does not include 6 % Idaho state tax; online bookings also incure a 6 % booking fee.
After booking, you may request to change your reservation time or date, though we assess an administrative fee of $40 for each change. Please visit Policies for our full cancellation policy.
Join Selkirk Powder and instructors from Kaf Adventures for three days of avalanche education. We will follow American Institute for Avalanche Research & Education (AIARE) curriculum to study avalanche recognition, snowpack observations and data collection, trip planning and preparation, and companion rescue. This course includes two days of classroom instruction in Selkirk Powder’s Summit Lodge and one day immersed in the backcountry.
AIARE 1 is a three-day, 24 hr-total introduction to avalanche hazard recognition and a decision making framework. Develop an understanding to prepare and execute a backcountry ski trip, and learn rescue techniques necessary to locate and uncover a person buried in an avalanche.
AIARE 1 is for anyone—regardless of mode of travel—who recreates in or near avalanche terrain. (This includes skiers, snowboarders, snowmobilers, snowshoers, and mountaineers.) Aspiring professionals will need to take AIARE 1 and Avalanche Rescue as a prerequisite for the Pro 1 course.
The ability to travel in avalanche terrain is all that is necessary; please bring appropriate equipment for human-powered snow travel to class. (Other avalanche awareness classes, workshops, or Avalanche Rescue course are great adjuncts but not at all required.)
Selkirk Powder partners with Kaf Adventures from Seattle to host and teach this course.
Mick Pearson, lead instructor
Mick is the founder of Kaf Adventures and holds the following qualifications:
- AMGA Rock & Alpine Guide
- AMGA SPI Program Provider
- AMGA Instructor Team Member
- LNT Master Educator
- Wilderness First Responder
- AAI Level 3
- AIARE Course Leader
Kevin Dombrock, co-instructor
Kevin is a guide here at Selkirk Powder and holds these qualifications:
- Wilderness First Responder
- NSP Outdoor Emergency Care
- LNT Trainer
- Professional Avalanche Level 1
- AIARE Course Instructor
- AMGA Apprentice Alpine Guide
- AMGA Apprentice Rock Guide
- AMGA Single Pitch Instructor
- National Ski Patrol
- Idaho Level 1 Alpine Ski Guide
- Rite in the Rain AIARE Decision-Making Guide (“blue book” fieldbook)
- student handbook
- certificate of completion
- lunch, snacks, and beverages
- snowcat ride from the field back to the summit at the end of day
- avalanche transceiver (beacon), probe, and shovel for class
- mechanical pencil or Rite in the Rain pen
- indoor note-taking materials
- AT or telemark skis, splitboard, or snowshoes
- appropriate outwear and equipment for a day in the snow