AIARE 2 course
Boost your Level 1 skill set with more snow pit education along with a higher level of guidance. After a day’s-worth of self-study, a weekend in the field will give you a foundation of judgement and decision-making that you can draw upon for the remainder of your bc adventures. Strongly consider bringing your ski & ride partners along with you!
The tour price excludes 6 % Idaho state tax; online and direct reservations incure a 6 % booking fee.
After booking, you may request to change your reservation time or date outside of 30 days, though we assess an administrative fee of $40 for each change. Please visit Policies for our full cancellation policy.
This course builds on your experience as a backcountry traveler. You will learn tools to apply the AIARE Framework, the repeatable process you learned in an AIARE 1, to new situations and to self-direct your learning after the course. You will learn more skills to connect weather, snowpack and avalanche processes, and identify how these processes relate to observations and travel within avalanche terrain. This can enable you to act as a leader within a small travel group and to identify and target reducing uncertainty about the terrain or conditions.
You’ll spend time learning these skills, both in a classroom setting and in the field:
- Differentiating where specific avalanche hazards exist within the landscape.
- Identifying avalanche terrain where consequences may be more severe.
- Using and interpreting weather, snow, and avalanche observations to make more specific terrain decisions.
- Leadership skills to use in a small team, including facilitating small group discussion, promoting appropriate terrain selection, and utilizing simple risk management strategies.
This course is for backcountry leaders who would like to advance their avalanche knowledge and decision-making skills.
Selkirk Powder partners with Mick Pearson, founder of Kaf Adventures, to lead this course.
Mick Pearson, course leader
Mick is the founder of Kaf Adventures and holds the following qualifications:
- AIARE Course Leader
- AAI Level 3
- AMGA Rock & Alpine Guide
- AMGA SPI Program Provider
- AMGA Instructor Team Member
- LNT Master Educator
- Wilderness First Responder
Kevin Stolbrock, instructor
Kevin is a certified instructor and manages our AIARE program here at Selkirk Powder. He holds these qualifications:
- AIARE Course Instructor
- AIARE Pro 1
- AIARE Pro 2
- AIARE Avalanche Rescue
- IOGLB Level 2 Alpine Ski Guide
- AMGA Apprentice Alpine Guide
- AMGA Apprentice Rock Guide
- AMGA Single Pitch Instructor
- AMGA Ski Guide Course
- LNT Trainer
- Wilderness First Responder
- NSP Outdoor Emergency Care
- Rite in the Rain AIARE Decision-Making Guide (“blue book” fieldbook)
- student handbook
- certificate of completion
|Meet at our desk in Schweitzer’s Lakeview Lodge.|
|Descend to Schweitzer Village.|